This recipe is very versatile. You don’t need to stick religiously to the given quantities. If the potatoes are not tender enough once you’ve fried them, add to the mushrooms with a little extra stock and cook the mixture until the potatoes are done.
Serve it with crusty bread. It was a HUGE hit with recent carnivorous guests.
MUSHROOM AND POTATO RAGOUT
INGREDIENTS for 2 people:
200 gr cubed potatoes
400 gr chopped mushrooms
2 shallots, finely sliced, or substitute onions
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
2 tablespoons of sherry or wine vinegar
¼ cup of stock
1 tablespoon of grainy mustard
2 tablespoons of cream
a little oil and/or butter
chopped chives, parsley or coriander leaves to garnish
- Fry the potato cubes gently in a little olive oil, butter or combination of both until brown and tender. Set aside.
- Now fry mushrooms and shallots until soft and any liquid has evaporated.
- Add thyme, black pepper, sherry or vinegar, stock, mustard and cream.
- Cook gently for a few minutes until sauce thickens, then add the softened fried potatoes and heat through.
- Check seasoning, garnish and serve immediately. Or when you’re ready. 🙂